Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Faithful in prayer


I have always wondered how that works: praying for people! People will ask me to pray for them, people will ask me to pray for a friend of theirs that I don't know, or I know of a friend who needs prayer desperately. It has happened that the list was overwhelmingly long that I really didn't know how to go about it. It seemed impossible to pray for everyone. I have always been sensitive to the fact that I never wanted to promise people I'd pray when I wasn't sure I could. And I wondered if people would really pray when I heard them say: "I'll pray for you" while passing me in the hallway. Would people really, really pray when they said they would?

And then I met Tim. And with him came his way of praying. Tim keeps a journal and he showed it to me in our early days. In there is a longggg list of people he prays for on a daily basis. And I got to see how he has his time with God during the day and he really, really prays for all those people faithfully. I was impressed, and love is written all over it. He would also bring many of those people before the Lord again in our night time prayer, adding more people to it as they would come to mind.

The wonderful thing about marriage is that now we can pray together. And it really is wonderful. It has an encouraging effect. So I find myself praying more than before. And we never promise to pray without fulfilling that promise. We actually follow through, and often right there on the spot.

Very regularly we get texts from people who need prayer and we do the fire safety thing like "stop drop and roll". We stop whatever we are doing, we drop to our knees (not always literally), and roll into a time of prayer. And just this week I realized how it's become a habit for us to pray for people. I love it! It's who we are becoming. And of course there is the truth that praying for other people doesn't just benefit the person for whom we are praying. It is very fulfilling, I have more time with our Lord and it builds my faith.

So... keep the prayer requests coming...


6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I have not officially started a journal- but have kept lists and also find myself going back to some of the same ones over and over again. If God lays it on my heart or mind, I know I need to offer up prayers. I do think also, the benefit of prayer is far reaching and comes all the way back around to ourselves. Hugs sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vicky, you have been so on my heart. I am thinking the next few days aren't the easiest for you. I pray you own God's peace and rest in Jesus Name. Hugs right back at ya! ps. I just can't live without my journal. It's like my camera, it goes wherever I go ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hey! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog; I love it because now I can follow yours! You and your new hubby are adorable... I love how you two are creating such good foundational habits early on in your marriage. Can't wait to follow more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, for your very kind words. I appreciate it much!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I have a similar prayer list but I've been slacking lately, this is a good reminder to keep up with it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

We so love that you are here and we certainly love your comments: thoughts, encouragement, love, advice... it is all very welcome!

Blogger does not notify commenters when there are replies to your comment. That is really too bad. So be sure to check back to see our (or anyone else's) reply to you!